Second Annual Cruise Shipping Asia-Pacific opens in Singapore
The second annual Cruise Shipping Asia-Pacific is underway at the Marina Bay Cruise Centre in Singapore. The conference is generating quite a bit of buzz as the representatives from the cruise industry and tourism organizations discuss the current state and potential for the Asia-Pacific region as the next great cruising market.
Christine Duffy, president and CEO of the Cruise Lines International Association, kicked things off and was cited as describing Asia as “a gateway to tomorrow’s cruise marketplace.”
Have you cruised in the Asia-Pacific region? Share your thoughts, leave a comment.
About Cruise Shipping Asia
From Cruise Shipping Miami’s “about” section on Facebook: Asia is the next new cruise destination and source market for worldwide cruising, with over 1.5 million passengers predicted in 2010. As Asia emerges, this new event will unlock the region’s potential as the industry’s next growth market bringing together suppliers and industry decision-makers to source, network and learn. Cruise Shipping Asia will include a tradeshow exhibition with various product sectors and a conference led by a panel of industry experts discussing pertinent industry issues.
For a detailed look at what was discussed, read the official press release here.
- Discussion about the potential for newbuilds in Asia/Pacific.
- Identifying infrastructure challenges in the region.
- How to educate cruise customers about product.
- How suppliers can offer destinations and itineraries that can be reached in a competitive way cost-wise.
- How to deal with the high costs associated with fuel costs, due to the long distances between ports.
Some cruise lines have made a splash this year announcing plans to expand operations in the region.
Carnival Corporation recently opened an office for Princess, Cunard Line and Seabourn in Japan, and just last week announced another office opening in Singapore to support Asia-based ships.
If you are interested in learning more, check out the Special Report published by Cruise Industry News, which does a great job rounding up cruise lines sailing in Asia/Pacific >>> click here for link.
Speakers and conference participants
- Christine Duffy, president and chief executive officer of Cruise Lines International Association
- Ann Sherry, chief executive officer of Carnival Australia;
- Gianni Onorato, president of Costa Crociere
- Roberto Giorgi, president of V.Ships
- Dr. Zinan Liu managing director China and Asia for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
Partial list of vendors who are exhibiting on the floor:
- Tourism Malaysia
- Port Klang Cruise Center
- Brunei Tourism
- Sembawang Shipyard
- Singapore Tourism Board
- SUNY Maritime College
- Tourism Western Australia
- TEAM Ports & Maritime and Maritime Communications Partners
To view the complete exhibitor list click here: http://www.cruiseshippingevents.com/asia-exhibitor-list
- Asia Cruise Association
- Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association:
- International Cruise Council Australasia: http://www.cruising.org.au/
- Cruise Lines International Association
For more information
Conference program: www.cruiseshippingevents.com/asia-conference
Cruise Shipping Portfolio (http://www.cruiseshippingevent